Tracys Travels

Hi all! I finally decided that having a blog would be a bit more time efficient than sending out the same e-mail to 150-200 people! Hope this enables you to keep track of where I am and what I am up to. Please keep the e-mails coming though, I love to hear from all of you! Hope you enjoy reading the massive ramblings as much as I enjoy writing them. I will try hard to keep it somewhat updated!! Wish me luck! ;) Tracy

Friday, February 10, 2006

Onwards to Potosi! The saga continues!

Hi all!
Forgive me, as I am quite a bit behind on my blog! BUT, I HAVE finally caught up in my journal for the first time this trip! First things first!
Just to let you know how far behind I am . . . Lindsay and I are currently in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. We arrived by air last night (yup, we flew)! It is very very humid here so we are sweating up a storm, but otherwise having fun so far!

Okay, where did I leave off. After Uyuni, we took a bus to Potosi. The highest city in the world! It is 4300 meters above sea level. I think 4 kilometers above sea level sounds worse! What do you think?
All I know is that it´s a bit harder to breathe the air up there! We were okay because we´d just spent the past 4-5 days at that height or higher on our jeep trek. The bus ride was a bit fun. It was supposed to be a 5-7 hour bus ride, it took us 8 hours, no problem. We had to get off the bus at one point to watch it take a run at a very sandy riverbed. We walked across it and hopped on at the other side. That was no problem. At another point we had to get off and gather all of our belongings and walk them over to another bus because an oil tanker was hanging off the edge of a cliff blocking the entire road. Thankfully our bus company planned ahead and had another bus waiting for us on the other side. We met some people that ended up having to wait for another oil tanker to pull this one back onto the road and their bus ride turned out to be a 16 hour one!! Yikes! The joys of riding a bus in Bolivia!! Okay, so we made it!

Grabbed a hostel bed at Hostel Maria Victoria, grabbed a bite to eat and ended up running into London boys again. They must think we are stalking them. (We are the ones to see them all of the time! ) We were on the 4 day trek together, stayed at the same hostel in Salta, Argentine together, we ran into them as they were horseback riding through some small obscure town on our 2 day loop in the rental car. It just keeps on going! We can´t go anywhere without running into these two! It´s okay though, they are pretty funny guys! ;) So we had an early night, and linds and I decided that we needed to change hostels as this one was only ¨okay¨. We headed over to the Koala Den Hostel (recommended) the next day fairly early in the morning. Then we decided to book our tour to the mines later that day at 1pm. This is where the day gets interesting! I think I will give this story a new title!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home